Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Snow Sky



We had a fresh dusting of snow tonight.  And at 11 o’clock at night as I stood out in the back yard I looked up through the criss-crossed branches of the big old elm tree, where the downy snow had settled like sleepy white doves, up, up to the canopy above.  It was what I call a snow sky.  Anyone who has lived on the Canadian prairies knows what a snow sky looks like.

I caught my breath at the hush.  The stillness.  The quiet.  Even the highway was quiet at this time of night.  And the light!   A week ago I had been out in the yard about this time of night – when there was no snow on the ground.  The dark was suffocating and a little scary as I took the garbage to the alley.  But tonight!  Tonight the snow brought such a peaceful light.  I felt I could hear God breathe.  Right there beside me, over me, around me.

Though my sins were as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.  Snow, that brings light and lightness, peace and peacefulness, prayer and thanksgiving.  And joy.  Always joy.

I’m tired.  It’s been a bit of a rough week but I’m glad I took the time at this late hour after the house had all gone to bed and turned out the lights, to step outside into this holy hush.  To breathe, and find my joy again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment